The school’s history started back in 1883 when the second public school in Spokane was opened at the Lewis and Clark High School’s site; it was named Central School. In July of 1890 a school bond was authorized for the construction of a high school and four elementary schools. With that the Central School was moved to another street to make way for the new institution. This building was called Central High School until 1908. They changed the name to South Central High School when the new North Central High School was opened that same year.
A fire in 1910 destroyed the interior of South Central High School, leaving only the exterior walls standing. The fire caused problems with the accomodation of the students, but in the end the board decided to send junior and seniors of both the North and South central schools to North Central in the morning and underclassmen in the afternoon while the building was reconstructed.
In 1912, after some problems with the construction, the building was finally finished. Thanks to the North Central Principal, Richard T. Hargreaves, they ended up naming the new south institution Lewis and Clark High School.
Starting at Lewis and Clark High School located at 521 W 4th Ave, Spokane, WA 99204, head south over S Stevens Street, then turn right on W 7th Avenue and you’ll reach Marycliff High School located at 707 W 7th Ave, Spokane, WA 99204.